Failed USMLE Step 1 what are my chances?

Discussion in 'IMG Residency Match' started by rajkumar, May 28, 2017.

1. rajkumar

rajkumar New Member

Everyone, my starts are as follows

Indian IMG / 2016 / Green Card
    210 (2) 220 Pass
    6 months USCE all Observerships

What are my chances for this match? I know the USMLE Step 1 failure will haunt me :(

2. elgato

elgato New Member

I would focus on the positive things in your application. For starters your YOG is fresh. This is a great thing and congrats on completing all you have done in such a short amount of time. i.e. all of the steps + an okay amount of USCE. I would critique your application as follows

1.) Your Step 1 is lower than the norm and yes the failure will hurt, but you should target family medicine programs that are lax on multiple attempts. Based on a recent program director NRMP survey about 30% of FM programs will consider failures.
    2.) Your Step 2 is lower than the norm but at least its a improvement and no failure vs Step 1. This score is the norm for family medicine also.
    3.) You have a green card which will help you immensely, this past year, I noticed a lot of people getting limited interviews because of VISA problems.
    4.) You have a decent amount of experience for an IMG

If you don't mind me asking was your USCE in family medicine? I would focus on family medicine if I was you given the lower score requirements, but remember, they are keen on interest in the specialty. So contacts, experience, and again contacts.